Thursday, January 8, 2015

Yes, Virginia, There is an Elliott Key

That evening, we anchored in Elliott Key, with plans to explore the island the next day.  It got a little gusty that night and I did not take it well.  I decided to try a Bonine for my queasy stomach and it worked and I was able to sleep.  Elliott and I did dinghy around during the calm the next morning, getting me comfortable at the controls and getting up on a plane.  Then he took over and rattled my teeth on the way back.  A few of the boats that had been anchored over night had left so the anchorage was fairly clear to scoot around in.  

Bubba Gump, where are you when we need you?
I got on a float for a while and the water felt so refreshing.  As I was climbing onto the transom, I looked down and saw a shrimp looking up at me with these purple-ish eyes! Glad I didn't see it in the water next to me.  Elliott was still free swimming and as he came close, the shrimp turned around start towards him; E said it was so scary!  The shrimp then turned around and came back to its original position by the transom, treading water and looking up (but I guess they're always looking up, eh?).  It seemed to want something.  Here's a few photos from our shrimp encounter.  (You know, some people pay big bucks for wildlife encounters and here we had one for no dollars--aren't we lucky?)     
Cute little thang, eh?

A few large powerboats came in, one blaring their music quite loudly.  Thankfully, the music was turned down once the swimming ensued.

The guys were over on shore doing a little snorkeling and walking on the beach; I was watching from the cockpit, working on another knitting project.  A huge cigarette boat came barrelling into the anchorage and the shore at stop speed.  

This is how they got to shore; E is being dragged
on my float.  A far cry from wakeboarding!
About 1,000 feet off shore are pencil buoys marked to mean, "Slow Speed, No Wake."  Obviously, this guy was going too fast to read the marks or he just didn't care because he kept the top speed all the way in.  I thought to myself that I hoped he got grounded, literally.  No such luck.  But they did get their comeuppance.  Not long after they docked and went into the greenery of the island did they come running out screaming and swatting at the bugs who were dining on their delectable flesh.  They got out of there fast.  Thank you very much, Universe.

I know I shouldn't think mean thoughts like that, but, seriously, some of these boaters are just not using their brains.  Whether it is because they are ignorant of the rules, whether they are showing off, or just playing around, their lack of concern for safety really riles me.  Okay, off soapbox.

Next on our itinerary was a sail out Broad Creek to Shark Reef.  Now, I have to tell you I have been having problems with anxiety rearing its ugly head again.  I have always had anxiety issues which prevents me from thoroughly enjoying certain activities.

I think just the name "Shark Reef" flipped me out.  First of all, I'm not a strong swimmer and I also do not snorkel (fear of not being able to breathe or claustrophobia).  I also do not snorkel because I'm very, very afraid of shark attacks.  Yes, I know they're rare, but it doesn't change anything in my fear-based brain. Damn you, Jaws!!!!  During a deep meditation quite a few years ago, a strong vision came to me of a huge shark waiting under the shelf of a reef for me.  I believe that the vision came at a time of toxic relationship, so my logical mind "knows" that the message was veiled as this shark waiting to pounce and devour me.  By my fear-based mind can only think that there is a certain shark out there with my name on it, just waiting until I immerse myself in the wild waters.

So, the past few days have not gone well for me.  The anxiety, the resultant stomach squeamishness, and my paralysis in doing almost anything have held me back some and I don't like it, though I feel safe in the retreat.  I watched the boys skin dive from the boat, ready with my air horn, life vest, and the painter of the dinghy nearby.  I know they had a great time because occasionally, one of them would pop up and you could hear them saying, "Wow!" or some other excited comment, point to go down again, and they'd go fins up to see some more coral or fishes.  They got back on the boat beaming!

Alabama Jack's:  Buggy, but they've got sweet tea!

Other good news is that we found a nearby restaurant we visited by water taxi (the dinghy) and they had REAL SWEET TEA!  Just when you've lost all hope, there is an oasis.  So the food was mostly fried (though Elliott had a wonderful blackened mahi-mahi he said was fantastic), but the liquid gold was awesomeness.  Funny how that makes everything alright for a little while with free refills.  And the bartender was named Dog.  Thank you, Alabama Jack's.




No comments:

Post a Comment