Saturday, September 13, 2014

Splish! Splash!

The day after our Cape Henlopen trip, I awoke to an empty camper.  Who knew where Elliott was, but I could guess that Gary was with the boat.  There were rumors that Nalani would be splashed today, but of course, we have to take every bit of news with a shot of saltwater. 

Gary was working on some project and so I thought I'd have time to make a grocery run.  

At that point, I can hear the crunching of gravel and up rolls the boat lift to OUR boat.  I still thought I'd have time because there was still paint to be applied to the bottom of the keel and on the spots at which the boat had been held up with the jackstands.

I drove off and got almost over the bridge and looked over my shoulder.  Our mast was moving!  Yikes!  Did a quick U-turn by the crab boats and recrossed the bridge before it was raised--happens every half hour (had about 30 seconds to spare!) and raced back to the marina.

I flew through the gate and pulled up just as the lift was moving over the water to relaunch Nalani.  It was pretty exciting as this was my first launching.  I filmed the drop.  Gary jumped on and got ready to motor her over to the slip.  He signaled for us to come on and Elliott and our mechanic Tyler joined him, but I'd left the car open and the keys in it, so I said that I'd meet them at E dock.

I drove rather quickly back to the camper to grab my good camera and took some shots of Nalani making her way back to the T-end of the dock.  Our dock friends Jack and Glenn were there helping to tie her up with handshakes all around after the landing.

I wish I'd planned better to celebrate with a nip of Champagne with some tequila for King Neptune. 


Gary was beaming and I know he was so relieved, even though there was still a bit of work to do . . . his boat was back in the water!



Up Next:  Kids Say the Darndest Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment