Saturday, October 11, 2014

Naval Academy and the U.S. Sailboat Show

As part owner of our boat insurance company, Gary has to pull one day of sitting at our booth at the U.S. Sailboat Show. When we can, Elliott and I accompany him, me mostly to climb on awesome boats and check out the wares at the show and Elliott to keep Gary company and run errands, if needed.  They've got a good system worked out during the show times.  If you've ever visited Annapolis, you know that parking is very dear.  The boat show organizers provide a shuttle bus from the Naval stadium parking lot.  They still charge a fee for parking, but you get a ride to the show and then back again after. 

Sometimes, sitting at the show can be boring as people pass you by to go check out the dinghys and luxury yachts, but Friday's crowd was very active and we had quite a few visitors and queries.  Of course, having nice canvas bags to give away does help some, but I was impressed with the traffic.  The people watching is good, too.  Salty old sailors, women who have no clue as they teeter around in high-heeled shoes on docks with slats between the boards.  One guy with crutches was not paying attention and his crutch tip went into a sewer grate; he noticed quickly enough to draw it up and continue on.

Elliott and I walked around a little bit, stopping to see the new Tesla.  My motorhead son was entranced, so I just waited on the sidelines.  Started chatting with a couple and they looked at my name badge for our company and said that we insured them and that if we're ever on the coast of Mississippi, to make sure to look them up.

Thankfully, I got some time to myself to do some wandering, too, as Elliott finished oohing over the Tesla and headed back to the booth where he actually fielded a few queries while Gary was discussing business with other potential clients.

First stop for me was the Hendrick's Gin tent; no young'ns allowed in there for free drinks.  This year, I enjoyed a Gin martini and something called a Floradora, yummy and fruity.  Hendrick's is good stuff and they put on a show.  All staff are dressed up in period-type costume and there was a gondola from a hot air balloon with a guy also dressed up in period costume who had his picture taken with my fellow drinkers.  He was good at the 
job and cracked us up! 

Because I rarely imbibe, I felt the effects of those lovely drinks before I left the tent.  As I wandered around, I was drawn into an area where several young men were selling heated massage pads.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, but when I've had a little to drink, I naturally heat up several degrees as shown by the bright red spots on my face.  So, when this guy put this HOT massage pad around my neck and shoulders, around my middle, and in my hand, and then started to give me the "oh, since you're an exhibitor, I can make you a good deal" schpiel, I got hotter and hotter, breaking out in a sweat.  Uncomfortable, the guy just kept on talking and talking until I pulled off the heat and got out of there and into the fresh air.

After another sales associate came along, we, as a family, got a quick lunch.  Gary and I walked around, bought some tea tree oil products (best stuff for boats and RVs) and stopped by Dream Boat Interiors of Jacksonville, Florida.  I was drawn to them because they had candles for boats; real wax, but no flame.  Very nice atmospheric decor.  The owners chatted with us, asking us where we were from; I said Fredericksburg.  One of the women said she knew where that was because she grew up in Woodbridge (as did I).  I asked where she went to school and we both went to the same high school; more queries found that she graduated just a year ahead of me.  How crazy is that?  Such a small world.

After stopping by Bob Bitchin's (magazine editor and entrepreneur--check him out--interesting stories) tent to get some tank deodorant, we went back to the booth and waited until closing.

Across the way, a double-handled winching contest drew crowds with lots of cheering.  There were lots of blue blazers and khaki pants, as well as lots of foul weather jackets. 
After the show, we had been invited to a Moody Boat Owners gathering on the Naval Academy campus.  I'd never been on the campus, so I was excited to visit.  Unfortunately, Gary had a knife (Leatherman) on him, and the security detail was quite annoyed with us or just everyone coming in for the show and game that weekend.  Anyway, I had to take it back to the car because they are obviously outlawed on the campus.   By the time we got that taken care of, we found out the visiting hours were over, so we had to have the host of the get together meet us so that we could get in. 


We got to meet several other couples who owned Moodys, and were happy to find that the host couple are out of the Charleston, SC, area.  This guy is also the who gave us the great info I wrote about a while back as to where to find the boxes for the winch power (remember?  Behind the mirror?).    They are a wonderful support group and we were happy to put faces to names and hope to meet up with them out on the water, whenever that may be.  It is starting to get cold . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment