Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Getting to Know You

After the heady experience of the rocket launch, we decided to head down river to meet up with friends and tackle the next bridge on the ICW.  When we got to the bridge, we realized that we could not fit under it, even with our usual hanging me out as ballast shenanigans.  We really wanted to go into Cocoa and Cocoa Beach to do geeky science things like visiting the rocket museums and such, but it was not to be.  Me getting my photo taken next to the "I Dream of Jeannie" street sign would have to be done at another time.

So, the friends we were meeting up with were the Captain and Crew of s/v Azimuth; I've mentioned them a few times before.  The kids had kept up an ongoing text conversation and wanted to get together again to hang out, preferably in Cocoa, but we did the next best thing. 

Rafting up with Captain and crew of s/v Azimuth
After realizing we'd have to stay this side of the bridge, we anchored and waited for them to traverse the canal from the Banana River (where they'd been anchored for the launch) to meet up.  They sidled up next to us and we threw lines (mine haphazardly), but finally fenders were placed and we were rafted up.  We all reintroduced ourselves and while Elliott went over to their boat, the parents came over to ours for a tour and what ended up being a wonderful afternoon-long conversation.  This couple has traveled almost all over the world; I believe Europe and the Med are still on their bucket list.

We laughed and listened to great stories and had snacks (we didn't want to take time for a real lunch!) for hours.  Their cats would come out occasionally and think about stepping over the threshhold to our boat.  Paw touch, paw touch, turn around and think on it some more.

The hours flew and finally we had to think about dinner and anchoring for the night.   We all returned to our respective boats and then moved across the ICW to a more sheltered location and, as soon as dinner was over, we all piled in our dinghy to visit their boat.  Did I mention that I think we'd seen this boat years ago in an Annapolis boatyard?  I couldn't wait to confirm it.

When we got to their boat, there was no ladder, but a really wide rub rail that we had to get ourselves up on.  I am happy to report that I did not fall back into the dinghy nor into the water.  I was still a Nervous Nellie and was happy to be set firmly on their deck.  Stripping off our life vests, we took the boat tour.

As soon as I stepped into the salon, I remembered the boat.  It is one of the coziest boats I've ever been on.  The galley is to starboard as you come down the steps.  Just beyond on the same side is a huge U-shaped settee with a large table.  Across from that on the port side is a long settee that converts into a single bed, if needed.  I really like their boat and if you think about the stories it could tell from just this one set of owners, it is really a well-traveled boat.

While the teens were playing a Le Mans board game at the table, we adults sat out on deck and resumed our conversation of earlier.  We were offered more snacks and drinks, which I first said no to, but better sense got hold of me and I drank down two of the best gin-and-tonics I've ever had.  Would have had another except that the last thing I would need would be to wobble down the outside of the boat getting into the dinghy.  I'm none too graceful at it sober, so under the influence would be silly. 

Neve, Dillon, and Elliott (my view
from the cockpit)
At one point, their daughter showed us some of her knitted animals that she made:  a Cape buffalo and a leopard.  She's quite talented and makes some mean popcorn.  I loved sitting in the cockpit (an enclosed one, I might add--something on my wish list) listening to the young ones laughing and cutting up; they really had developed quite a bond already.

We (and I know I can speak for Gary (and Elliott)) had a great evening, but we did eventually have to get back to our boat.  We were planning another ocean run in two days, so we had planning and cooking to do.

Gary and Elliott went over the next day to talk about strategies for the next leg of the trip if they wanted to join us, but they declined, instead making a beeline for Miami.  Their kids were going to be visiting their grandparents and would be flying out of Miami the week before Christmas and through the New Year, so parting was sad, but we hope for another meetup sometime in January.  (I've heard the kids are planning a fishing tournament and a late holiday soiree.)

We both pulled anchor and traveled down the canal to anchor again near the lock, which we'd be traveling through to get to the ocean.  The bridge tender for the bascule bridge must have been new; he was so darn friendly.  When s/v Azimuth radioed him to ask for a bridge opening, he replied, "I'd be happy to do that for you!"  Just a very sunny disposition coming through over the radio waves.  We always make sure to wave at all the bridge tenders, but he got extra waves and smiles from us (and yes, he was a younger man than most we've met).  Now I'm not saying that most of the bridge tenders have been gruff old guys and we did actually have a woman, which is rare, but this guy just had a real friendly attitude.  Made our day.


We anchored again at dark, and Gary and I settled in for the evening, making preparations for the next day's early start.  Elliott hopped in the dinghy and motored to s/v Azimuth for a last few hours with his buddies.  


No comments:

Post a Comment