Saturday, December 6, 2014

It's a Dog's Life!

Discovering Fernandina Beach with Mr. Bronson, Annie, and Sherry
Within minutes of our parallel docking inside the seawall at the Fernandina Beach Marina, I hear a commotion on the docks.  A small tan dog (Mr. Bronson) and a large black Doberman (Annie) were attached to leashes held by Sherry, our friend Mike's sister.  What perfect timing!

Mike's sister is a resident of Amelia Island and we were so excited to get to know her because we always love an insider's view of any new place we visit.  Straightaway we went to the Salty Pelican restaurant because we were hungry and thirsty.   I ordered a Margarita; it was very nice.

With full bellies, we walked around town to familiarize ourselves with the area; it's a nice main drag, with lots of shops, cafes, bakeries, and a great variety of restaurants.  Sherry used to have a tobacco shop/listening room just a few blocks up; it was called Indigo Alley and I'd venture to think that more than a few of my musician friends played there back in the day.

We were invited to join Sherry for a community oyster roast that night and she came back later to get us.  I gathered salad ingredients and we all piled into her truck to go to her house first to visit and for me to make the salad.  I knew it would be this way, but her house is so cool.  Interesting art, open floor plan, a yard with many "rooms" to it, including an awesome firepit.  Just so comfortable and thoughtfully arranged.

On our way over to the party, she showed us more of the neighborhood, including a small church replete with stained-glass windows that had not long ago been sold as a private home.    The party was in full swing when we arrived and the oysters were already gone!  Yikes!  Still lots of good food and one woman was happy that I had brought something green.

This group had been getting together for many years and it was great to sit around listening to old stories, local politics (mostly about finding ways for the paper mill/port to NOT take any more land than they already have), and a song or two.  Our host was inspired to sing by another guy and he broke into a little ditty called, "Butterbeans."  At the end, we all sang along; it was a great and perfect evening.  
       
During our time at the marina, we got to know (via Elliott, our social director) a few of the folks in their boats.  One guy, Dave, was tied up directly behind us.  He was not only a sailor, but also an author.  He had written about his career as a police officer and compared it to sailing, which, from what I've heard, was probably just as scary.  Elliott has read the book, but I'm waiting a little while.

A beautiful 1937 Trumpy boat was tied on the outer seawall and Elliott got us a tour one night after the occupants had finished dinner.  The Captain welcomed us aboard and the owner gave us a tour; sweet boat.  Harkens back to a more genteel time in history.  The owner is going to live aboard when they get it down to the Palm Beach area. 

We visited several different restaurants and they all passed with flying colors; I had a lunch at Hola!  Turkey, cream cheese, strawberry jam on sweet bread flattened with a hot press.  Delicious.  We also went to Arte Pizza, which was out of this world good; great service, the food was fresh and delicious, and we came away with plenty of leftovers.
Another spot we checked out (just the three of us) was Jack and Diane's, a restaurant on Centre street.  I had checked out their menu on line and thought they were very intriguing in their flavor pairings and when I walked by and saw the "Beware of the Attack Waiter" sign, I was hooked.  The grilled cheese sampler was enough to keep me coming back:  cheddar and tomato, gouda and apple butter, and provolone and mushroom.  They are also a place to find local art and you know I love that.  Wow; just wow!

The Post Office is right there, too, so it made it easy for me to pack up some goodies to send to my little grands.  I have to make sure they won't forget me!!! 

Captain Golden trying to recruit Private Golden
Our wonderful host, Sherry, took us out to Fort Clinch a few days before we set sail again.  She asked whether we wanted to take the scenic way there; of course we did!  As the leaves and branches fwapped the front windshield, we were all holding on!  She showed us the old Spanish roads; old mulchy trails with street signs still in place.  Very cool.  We saw a house that evokes the memory of Pippi Longstocking's house; we stopped by and talked to the owners who were working on the house and in the garden.  Mike, ever gregarious Mike, weaseled his way into the back garden, while we got an orange off the tree and were overjoyed with the aroma.

Fort Clinch was a great visit, too, a great park for visiting, biking, hiking, even before you get to the fort.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stay for long as Mike had to get to the train, so we went straight to the Fort and wandered around, learning some more about this area's fascinating history.

We loved having Mike with us, but he did eventually have to go home.  We were sad. 

I made arrangements for a haircut the next day with a friend of Sherry's and she'd drive me there and to the grocery store.  Unfortunately, she forgot about another appointment, so I had to call and cancel.  After our brief conversation, the stylist called me back and said that her husband could pick me up for the appointment. He would be coming from Jacksonville and could stop by and get me at the marina.  Can you believe it?  Of course I said yes. 

While waiting for the afternoon appointment, I went to the bathhouse and did some laundry; met some other fine folks there.  We collect boat cards now and wish we'd brought more of ours.  E and I have already discussed redesigning ours, too, to include my blog address so that we can share our journey with other sailors.

Around the time of the appointment, it was raining cats and dogs, but Jason picked us up and we were off.  I asked Elliott to come with me so that he could stop by the grocery while I was getting my hair done.  I got a great haircut and met some awesome people and Elliott was terrific about walking in the rain to get foodstuffs.  Had a great chat with Jason on the way back in the car and we invited him onboard where our conversation continued.  He tried to teach us the Basque phrase for "Please get me a glass of red wine," but I've already forgotten it.  Once you get by the initial awkward phase, people are so interesting and full of surprises.  I told Jason he should write a book.


So, armed with clean laundry and shorter hair, we left the next day for St. Mary's, where we hoped to meet up with a whole bunch of other sailors for the community's annual Cruiser's Thanksgiving Feast.  And I am talking turkey! 

1 comment:

  1. If this is a dog's life, sign me up to be a dog. :) Your adventures are amazing, Ruth. Thanks for documenting it all.

    ReplyDelete