Friday, March 6, 2009

Le Tour Eiffel on a Very Windy Day

Forty-four years ago, I visited the Eiffel Tower with my parents. I was six years old. Even though we only got to the second level that day, I felt on top of the world. Forty-four years later, I am back again. Today, I will ascend to a higher level and feel the Parisian wind on my face and look out on this most romantic city.

As I stood in line for my ticket, I was surrounded by many people speaking many different languages; Spanish, African, German, Dutch, Italian, Indian. My ticket allowed me to stop on all three levels; level 1 had a tourist shop, a restaurant, and a special post office where you could get cards stamped with "Paris Eiffel Tower"; the second floor had more shops (food and tourist), the very expensive and hard to get into Jules Verne Restaurant; and the third floor had the most amazing views (though very windy), and some historical information about the tower.

The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889 for the Paris Exposition and designed by French structural engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel (b. Dec. 15, 1832, d. Dec. 28, 1923). Quite a few Parisians at the time thought the tower was a travesty and signed a petition to stop its construction. Luckily, many Parisians did like it and it stayed. After later failed attempts to have it taken down, it has now become on of the most important symbols of Paris.

At the top level, I left the elevator and walked to the edge and looked out at the city. I could see so many landmarks from there: the Notre Dame, the Sacre Couer up and away on its hill in Montmartre, the Arc de Triomphe, the radical new Musée du quai Branly, and the Seine and its bevy of tourboats and barges.

As I walked around the top, the power of the wind increased; on the far side, the wind was so strong that it surprised a man and picked the hat off his head and pushed it through the protective grillwork and sent it sailing out over the city. Wonder where it is now?

As I made my way back down to the lower levels, I stopped to get postcards from one shop and picked up some Eiffel Tower statues at another. I realized I was hungry and walked back the same way I had come; ended up at a small café called "Oh!…Pouvrier."The server was not very friendly, but I was able to order and enjoyed my meal. An older French woman came in and was seated two small tables away and we began chatting. I apologized for my minimal French, but she said she was happy to practice her English. We spoke about the food and Parisian life and then a little about the economy. She was helpful when I said I wanted to take my leftovers with me; seems this is an unusual request in France and the servers were not willing to help me. So, I sat a little longer, ate slowly and finished most of the food. I also learned afterwards that the service is already included in the bill; I'm sure the server was surprised by the extra tip because she never cracked a smile for me.

On the way back to the apartment around 4pm. Decided to stop by the cheese shop where I found some beautiful brie and a goat cheese, the bread shop for my baguette and two croissants, the butcher's for a roasted chicken (without feathers!!!!), and the vegetable and fruit stand so that I could make myself a nice dinner in the evening.I went home and feasted, already planning the next day's walking tour around Montparnasse.

No comments:

Post a Comment