Wednesday, April 15, 2015

April 15, 2015 -- Green Turtle Cay, No Conch, and How About that Water Spout?, Abaco, Bahamas

The aforementioned Wrecking Tree was not open, so we, hungry trio that we were, continued on down the skinny streets hoping to pick up the aroma of a place that served some kind of food.  Just a block away, we found McIntosh Cafe and Bakery.  Bread was also on my list of must-haves from here; Bahamian bread is so good.  And I was about to win a mini jackpot!

We noticed the "Specials" board just outside and my mouth started drooling when I came upon Chicken Curry.  We even were able to get sweet tea!  The guys got lobster wraps with mango and were very happy with their choices.  As we were settling the bill, I asked for the loaf of bread and was told it was coconut bread!  Bonus!
 
We noticed the weather getting iffy, of course, it's Green Turtle Cay (remember what I mentioned about Gary and his friends getting stuck here during a bad bit of weather?).  It seemed to follow us after all those intervening years.  Elliott high-tailed it to the boat via dinghy to close hatches and ports and bring in anything that might take flight if the wind picks up.

I didn't mind the rain, but high winds scare me; we were spared that drama, thankfully.
We decided that we wanted to go back to Crab Cay (just 20 minutes away) to get some more of that aromatherapy over night.  The weather seemed to be clearing and Gary called a Crew Cruise, where the crew (Elliott and me) would take care of everything from here to there.  That meant bringing up the anchor, setting the sail, steering, sail adjustments as necessary, and then anchoring again in the new spot.

While Gary was down below, Elliott and I just picked up and got on the move.  It was easy.  As we were figuring out which direction the wind was coming from, Elliott shared his secret:  He just turns his head until both ears feel fuzzy.  It worked!   I felt comfortable at the helm and Elliott was gentle in correcting if we needed to adjust our route; he would tell me how many degrees port or starboard to steer. 

The clouds had been hovering mainly away from us over Great Abaco, but I noticed that it seemed they had turned.  We toodled along, figuring we had plenty of time to get into our snug place before rain started again.  But, it was then as I was scanning the horizon that I noticed a tornado or water spout over the island across the water.  I had never seen one before and I wish I could explain the feeling my body had at that moment.   Ever feel like peeing your pants and losing your ability to stand at the same time?  That's kind of what it felt like.  And my chest hurt like hell.  Maybe I had forgotten to breathe.

We couldn't make out whether it was traveling down the island or coming our way, though Gary thought it could pose a big problem for us if it did meet us.  We quickly jibed and started a return trip to the Green Turtle area.  THEN, Gary was not so sure that was a good idea, so we turned again (thank goodness Nalani can turn on a dime) and we headed back the way we'd originally been heading.  THEN, we turned again because Gary saw a small anchorage closer than Green Turtle that we could duck into to wait out the storm.

The tornado dissipated in due time and never came closer; I still felt like I was going to be sick.  We stayed in place for a while and then picked up anchor again and headed to Crab Cay for the night.

Very nervous and shaken by then, just because of the preceding events, I asked the Captain to take over for the anchoring portion of the evening's festivities.  He looked at me with grey eyes and announced, "I am not available."  It was the Crew Cruise; we started and had to finish.

Something happened that I can't quite explain, but I fell apart crying and didn't handle it well, though with Elliott's good instructions, I did motor us into the anchorage, find a spot, and get us set tight for the night.

Then I went down below and curled up into a ball for about 24 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment