Monday, April 6, 2015

March 31, 2015 -- Hoffman's Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas

Woke up to sweet quiet here at Hoffman's Cay.  Slight breeze and sunny.  Something just jumped out of the water not far from the boat; couldn't see what it was.

Coming in here yesterday was a little bumpy, literally.  Shallow-draft boats are needed here in the islands; catamarans preferred.  We don't draw overly much, but we had to squeeze through some really tight spots.  At the first bump, we threw off the lines and furled the genoa, started the engine and motored off.  Thank goodness for the sandy bottom; we kind of bounced along for a bit until we finally got back to a grand height of 7 feet of water.

Weird to think that just a week ago, we were sailing in 3,000 feet of water. 

I was thinking about personal hygiene this morning and how my routine has really changed.  I get up whenever, which is similar to home, but now, instead of a 20-minute shower, I quickly wet a washcloth, turn off the water, add a little soap to the cloth, and wash my face.  Quick handfull of water for a rinse, brush teeth with a spritz of water and then I'm done.  At home, I'd still be just dazing out under the invigorating spray of the shower.  I do still love my occasional shower, though, and I did partake of one at the marina.  And it was long, five minutes. 

Oh, and speaking of luxuries, we've been using the freezer!  First time ever!  And plagues and locusts and death to the first born son has not happened!  Oh joy.  We stocked up on bread and froze it, some fowl meats, and froze bottled water to help for on-shore excursions.  Gary still doesn't like it because it uses the battery, but well, we can recharge the battery.  Though his discontent does grow; I fear the end of freezer use is nigh. 
And I was right; the male contingent just turned it off.  Oh what do they know, these mortals of the male gender?  And why am I all of a sudden sounding so Shakespearean?  
Must be the locale; the serenity (somewhat), the colors, the angle of the sun.

Back to the subject at hand, our beautiful spot here at the Cay.  When we were coming in, inch by inch, we noticed so many sea stars on the bottom sand.  Brown, some with yellow, so many we lost count.  And this morning, we've seen a turtle so far raise its wonderful head and a dolphin.  This place really is unreal. 

I think I'm going to vomit.  Elliott and I just let the dinghy down and as I walked back to the side of the boat, I looked in the glorious depths of the water and noticed a tube of fecal matter floating by.  Gross!  People just don't get it.  I realize they may not be as "strict" as the U.S. purports to be in their waters, but yuck!  There are only three other boats nearby, a cabin cruiser, a boat that brought over visitors to kayak, and a sailboat way down the island.  Elliott says that maybe the people have a dog; I don't care.  You bag it up and trash it in an appropriate place.  Jerks.


So, yeah, welcome to Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment