Monday, April 6, 2015

March 25, 2015 -- Gun Cay, Bahamas

We set off this morning from Gun Cay heading to a shoaly area where Gary hopes we can anchor for the night.  The wind was supposed to be 15-20knots, but we're motoring along on a fairly still day.  Yesterday afternoon, we made a late visit to the beach and I did get in the water and do some snorkeling.  Never relaxed all the way, but did enjoy the sights, even the little eel the guys has been hoping to shock me with.  The salt water is strong and my lips were burning, but I'm glad I did it.  I took photos of the island, too, for memory keepsakes.

A sign planted there said that Gun Cay was now a private island owned by the Cat Cay Owners Association (or something along those lines).  Walking around the island, trash was everywhere.  Let's hope there's a beautification committee that wants to take responsibility for getting the litter up.  

I hadn't remembered it that way, but there seemed to be more "party" boats in Honeymoon Harbor (which is not really a harbor anymore since the beach area has washed away).  Anyway, these are the souped up power boats whose owners pull up near a beach and float around and drink and turn their music way up.  Watching a group of these partyers was funny, because the rays that I had mentioned before, loved visiting people.  One of the guys flipped out and made a dash for the boat when one got friendly with him.
They did the same to me, coming up to me while walking on the beach. 

Gary had a close encounter with a fish today; we were going so slow that Elliott wanted to get into the water.  He said he saw a remora attached by its head onto our keel.  Interesting.  Supposedly, Gary's splash into the water excited the fish and it came over and tried to latch onto Gary's leg.  Scary.  Thankfully, the incident was just playful, we think.  They don't seem to care who their host is . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment