Monday, April 6, 2015

Sunday, April 5, 2015 -- Lynard Cay/Tilloo Cay or "So I Don't Swim? What's The Big Deal?"

The guys just left on the maiden voyage of their newly sail-rigged dinghy.  Another dinghy had gone by earlier from another boat and they were sailing and it seemed to inspire them to finish the project.

PVC pipes and canvas and drills and line littered the aft deck for two days while they worked; when they went off yesterday to explore the aforementioned reef, I took up the sewing of the sail and finished it off for Gary as a surprise.  They had some luck at the reef, but the current has picked up so quickly that they feared becoming separated from the boat, so they scrambled back on and came back.

Elliott saw some large fish under the boat earlier and set about rigging his fishing line, but to no avail. 

Gary was a dear, and plugged into some lively music, did the dishes for me.

We will be leaving here some time today to take an 8-mile sail to our next anchorage, which, Gary presented, has two dockside restaurants.  Looking forward to that, though I've been quite proud of myself for coming up with meals from seemingly nothing.  We're down to barely any fresh vegetables and only apples and oranges, and a soon-to-be-cracked coconut, so rice and beans may become a staple.  I used the last of the cabbage to make a lovely slaw yesterday and that was lunch; we had a little turkey meat left over so I hobbled together burgers, using cracker meal and eggs, onions and spices as filler.  They were pretty awesome.

We do have plenty of canned goods, but fresh is so much better; I hope we run into an open-air market or something like that on this portion of the trip because I'd like to try some new vegetables or fruit.

I am adventurous in some aspects; hah.  Speaking of which, I feel I must address my hesitancy in swimming.  I am a huge fan of water, seas, ponds, lakes, rivers, creeks.  I adore them and respect our dependence on them for sustenance in so many ways.  But while they fill a spiritual niche for me, I do not feel it is necessary to be swallowed up by them.  I especially respect their strength.

My earliest memories of water are being pushed into a deep ditch in Mississippi by the neighbor boy/sometimes bully Bubba.  I was quite small, maybe 5 or so.  As I was floundering about, he said, "Watch out for the snakes!"  I was traumatized.  It was sad and that experience, unfortunately, marks me to this day.  For those who think I ought to swim everywhere, I was "baptized" in the muddy Mississippi River, whose countenance was tricky at best.  Hurling around bends, watery fingers would latch onto you and pull you down to the bottom in a second, with nary a concern for your comfort.  I remember being caught in that current and having to be pulled out by family.  Swimming with gar, catfish, and snakes scared the bejesus out of me and I can still smell the cracked mudflats at rivers' edge, the oozing suck of which would bury you up to your knees and steal your shoes if you weren't wary enough to keep a fast and light step.

And maybe I'm remembering with a heavy heart a boy I had taken a fancy to early in high school.  He and a group of friends went swimming at a local swimming hole one day after school and he dove into the water and never resurfaced, drowning in the tangle of limbs of a submerged tree. 


So, when I do swim, I have to be comfortable and feel very safe.  It's just who I am and I don't think that I'm getting any less from this voyage because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment